Barca sign Dutch star Afellay

Friday, December 24, 2010


Holland international Ibrahim Afellay has spoken of his delight after joining Spanish giants Barcelona on a four-and-half-year deal.

Afellay's move from PSV Eindhoven was made official on Friday when the 24-year-old put his name to a three-million-euro deal at the Camp Nou.

A statement on Barca's official website noted the Dutch international, who has been capped 29 times for his country, has also had a 100-million-euro buyout clause inserted into his contract.

As part of the transfer arrangement, Barca have agreed to play PSV in 2013 in recognition of the Dutch club's centenary year.

Afellay fronted the media following his signing, gushing that it was a dream come true to wear the shirt of the Catalan club.

"I'll wear the Barca colours with pride and respect. Barca is more than a club," Afellay said.

"When I was a kid, I wanted to play for Barca - it was a dream."

"We all know that it is the best place to play football and when I heard about their interest I didn't think twice, I just felt - sign now and close the deal quickly."

Afellay is under no illusions as to the difficulty he faces breaking into Pep Guardiola's star-studded line-up, but remains optimistic he will see first-team action.

"That's normal at a club like this where there are so many quality players, but I'll fight for my place," he said.

"I don't mind where I play - wherever the boss wants me, I'll do my very best."

"(The team is) fast and has a really high level. Every new player who comes in has to find his position in the team and that's what I will do."

Barca Sporting Director Andoni Zubizarreta said the club would not make any further purchases during the January transfer window.

"We have absolutely no plans to sign anybody else," Zubizarreta said.

"(Afellay) was a player who was about to finish his contract and with the squad we have he looks like somebody who can add something."


0 komentar:

Post a Comment